The Cross of Magellan
From the time immemorial this spot has been set aside to commemorate the erection of a cross in Cebu by the expedition of Magellan. When King Humabon of Cebu and his queen, son and daughters, together with some 800 of their subjects were baptized by Father Pedro Valderrama. This hallowed site was improved in 1735 by Rev. Juan Albarran, prior of San Agustin and in 1834 by Rt. Rev. Santos Gomez Marañon, bishop of Cebu. The image of Sto. Niño found by the expedition of Legaspi in a house near the present site of the Cathedral of Cebu is venerated by the faithful in the nearby Church of San Agustin.
The original cross planted by Ferdinand Magellan on April 21, 1521 is now encased of Tindalo wood.
Fuente Osmeña Park
Cebu’s premiere park that was built in honor of Cebu’s “Grand Old Man” President Sergio S. Osmeña Sr., who serve as the second President of the Philippine Commonwealth. It’s name literally means “Osmeña’s fountain”.
Throughout the history, the Fuente Osmeña Park has served as witness to many of Cebu’s significant gatherings, including the grand and colorful Sinulog festival that is held annually. The circle is a centerpiece landmark of the city and the site of numerous festivals and rallies.
In recognition of its legacy, the Fuente Osmeña Park is immortalized in the Philippine fifty peso bill. This landmark is indeed a source of pride for every Cebuano located along Jones Ave. and General Maxilom Ave. This was built during the founding of Cebu City's water system.